Saturday, March 31, 2012

If they say no you can't-shock them

Interestingly the last one was recorded three times...

Mark tells us today about the the healing of the blind man on the road to Jericho.  Mark actually gave him a name - Bartimaeus.  Some many who were healed were  nameless.  This healing is so important all three synoptics record it.  He was in a hurry again...He was on the road to Jericho...an interesting town...the walls fell down...a prostitute hid spies and thereby saving her whole  family...It is on the way to Jerusalem.  His destination.  This is his last miracle recorded before the Passion.  And it involved of all things: blindness. 

I imagine that blindness would not have been my top choice for healings if I were a healer.  I think I would have driven out alot of demons into pigs.  I think I would have cured a lot of leprosy, given my own  susceptibility to horrid poison ivy and various rashes and skin disorders of all kinds.  And while it is not a healing miracle, I am sure I would changed a lot of water into wine.  Like maybe the whole sea of Galilee.  Just saying.  Apparently he made great wine.   But blindness had a special place in his heart.  I am  not sure he thought much about making a metaphorical point to the disciples that day.  He had Jerusalem on his mind.   I am not sure he thought much about making a point that an entire nation had missed seeing him. He knew they already had and he had Jerusalem on his mind.  I am not sure he thought much about trying to prophetically point out the Temple's spiritual blindness. They seemed to be a lost cause as all systems of power and establishment tend to be.  They usually have to collapse first before they begin to see.  Personally,  I think he just wanted Bartimeaus to see the trees. 

Bartimaeus apparently was just hanging out on the road to Jericho.  Just begging.  It is what the blind did.  They begged.  But he wasn't any ordinary blind person seeking healing. His name  meant son of a blind man. Kind of hard to live above a name like that.  I am sure he had been told over and over Jesus couldn't do it or wouldn't do it.  I am sure he had been told over and over, "Look dude it just ain't happening for you.  There are far other greater concerns Jesus has.  After all he is trying to get this whole messiah thing off the ground." In fact the crowd was rebuking them that day.   He had been blind his entire life.  Many artists render him as old.  What was old back then? 33?  At any rate, he could not see and had never seen and had been told over and over he would never see. 

Obviously, he did not believe that.  It is probably the most important point of the story.  He did not believe he was the person others told him was.  He did not define himself by others.  Apparently he yelled loud too.  Apparently just like my voice at ballgames, it could be heard over the masses. Apparently  he was trying to prove a point.  And I try to do that at ballgames too..you know prove a point...usually to the umpires but sometimes I have been known to get frustrated at the crowd.  Davis tells me just to be mad at them in my head and not say anything. He says actions speak louder in words and in baseball he has a point.

He demanded it,  "Jesus, son of David have mercy on me."  He said it more than  once. And often I wonder just how long did he wait on Jesus to come by?  Does it matter really how long you wait for your miracle? Does it matter really  how long you believe in your best self?  Does it matter really how long it takes to get to the other side just as long as you do?  And that is just what Bartimaeus did.  He stayed the course.  When everyone said he could not or it would not happen, he just shocked them.  He just shocked them.  It is the easiest way to prove who you really are.  Just shock them.  Faith in God probably does not get you very far if you don't have faith in yourself.

And Jesus moved by his faith did what Jesus did best...made him see....

I often wonder how often I give into the no.  I often wonder and pray I am teaching my son never  give in...just shock them.  You don't need to do anything else...just continue forward in the journey...Don't stop...Don't let them define you...Don't let the world say you can't...

JUST SHOCK THEM.

Grateful for seeing all the budding trees today...

Kathleen

PS I am also seriously considering linking this to the folks I know I have just plain shocked.  But I think that might lapse into that whole revenge thing.  But  I am thinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment